William R. Marscio
43 Years Old

August 8, 1946 to August 7, 1989

William Marscio was/is my brother. He was a loving son, father, uncle and loyal friend.

Billy was meticulous about his appearance; shoes or boots always shined; shirts always pressed; everything to perfection. He had a genius I.Q. and graduated from Youngstown State University with honors. He never left the Trumbull County, Ohio area except on a rare vacation, until his second divorce.

Billy moved to Columbus, Ohio to start a new life, only to lose his life because he tried to help a friend.


Billy was murdered in his home by a drug dealer and addict Camilo Lopez Alvarez, just hours before his 43rd birthday in August 1989. He had fallen asleep on his living room sofa while he was watching TV. Camilo used a heavy brass floor lamp to crush Billy’s skull. He then stabbed him repeatedly in the chest. Billy’s body wasn’t found for two weeks. Camilo stayed in Billy’s condo for days after this brutal crime.

Camilo was no stranger to such a gruesome act. He had been in jail for murder in Cuba and released during the Carter Administration. When he murdered my brother, he was awaiting trial in New York State for robbery and murder.

Camilo had a relationship with a friend of Billy’s, Mary George. She asked Billy for advice because she wanted to end the relationship. Billy told her to get as far away from Camilo as possible. She ended the relationship and told Camilo that her friend Bill had advised her to do so. While she was out of town, Camilo plotted this cold-blooded murder and made his move. At the time of his arrest, he was found at Mary George’s apartment loading a semi-automatic rifle with the intent of shooting his way out. He bragged about the murder to anyone who would listen.

At the trial in 1990, Mary George was at his side. He was convicted and sentenced to 15 years to life, auto theft two-10 years, burglary 10-15 years, a weapon charge of three to five years, gun theft three to five years and an additional three years for gun specification. The police and prosecutors assured our family that he would never be a free man. If he ever got out of prison, he would be sent back to Cuba. He was in prison for one year when he married Mary George. With her family’s money and power in the community, she was able to get him a new trial and the verdict was overturned. The trial was kept secret from me and my mother until after it was over. So, we didn’t attend and I was not able to be my brother’s voice like I was at the first trial.

Today, Camilo is a free man...free to kill again.

back to 4

William Marscia