Nelson John Minter
36 Years Old

September 15, 1957 to December 3, 1993

Nelson John Minter, of Boyds, Maryland, was an honest and open kind of guy with a heart of pure gold. He was always ready to help anyone who was down and out and his generosity was unsurpassed. Nelson freely placed his trust in others. The youngest of three children, Nelson had a quick sense of humor and a dry wit that kept his friends doubled over with laughter.

Nelson learned the roofing trade at the age of 17. He often bragged that he could nail cedar shakes faster than anyone, and his fellow workers agreed. He was fast at mathematics and had little patience for those of us who occasionally had to use a calculator. Nelson was a talented businessman at a young age. He opened and operated several successful roofing companies. The first one, opened when he was 18, was named "The Roof Doctor." A lover of gadgets, Nelson was always on the cutting edge, incorporating state-of-the-art electronic equipment for both personal and business use.

Nelson had an enviable zest for living. He loved people and loved to party; as evidenced by his eclectic collection of loyal friends. He was an avid and skilled slalom water skier and liked to ride his new Harley Davidson motorcycle which he proudly shared with his friends. Fascinated with aviation, Nelson was planning to take flying lessons.

Nelson often said the happiest day of his life was when his son was born. Unfortunately, his marriage was far from ideal and he was physically and emotionally abused by his drug-addicted wife. Nelson desperately wanted custody of his son when he reluctantly left the marriage and was preparing to pursue custody of his son at the time he was killed.

Nelson was a person who was blossoming in the face of unbelievable adversity. He was discovering his own spirituality and was striving to make his life more profound. He was always upbeat, even while facing problems that would have destroyed a lesser person.


On the evening of December 2, 1993, 36-year-old Nelson John Minter was at home alone and had talked on the phone with a friend just before 11:00 pm. The following day, December 3, 1993, his house was discovered smoldering about 1:00 pm. Fire had destroyed the interior of his home and his body was discovered in the basement beneath his bedroom, where the floor had collapsed.

An autopsy revealed that Nelson died from Blunt force trauma resulting from at least seven blows to the head. Although authorities believe they know who the killers are, to date, no arrests have been made because the evidence is circumstantial and physical evidence was deliberately destroyed in the fire.

back to 14

Nelson Minter