Dr. Lawrence Brett Yellin
36 Years Old

January 19, 1961 to October 25, 1997

Lawrence Brett Yellin, of Memphis, Tennessee, was a special person in many ways. He was a brilliant physician specializing in anesthesia. He served our country as an army captain during the Gulf War. He served his family and friends with his generosity, his leadership and his sense of humor.

Larry was born in Brooklyn, NY, but was raised in East Brunswick, NJ, the oldest of the three children. He was a fine role model for his younger brother and baby sister. He graduated from East Brunswick High School and was a member of the National Honor Society. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Rutgers College of Engineering, specializing in electrical engineering. There, he was a member of two engineering honor societies: Tau Beta Pi and Eta Kappa Nu. He then received a full scholarship to attend Temple University School of Medicine from the United States Army. He completed his residency in anesthesiology at Temple University Hospital. He became the chief resident at the hospital.

After completing his residency in June, 1990, Dr. Yellin served our country as an officer in the army. He spent four years on staff at Moncrief Army Hospital, Fort Jackson, SC. In December, 1990 he was deployed to Saudi Arabia for 5 months during the Gulf War as Staff Anesthesiologist for the 15th Evacuation Hospital. Upon his safe return from the war, he resumed his duties at Fort Jackson. He became chief of the department of anesthesia at Moncrief Army Hospital.

Larry met his wife Robin, also an army officer, at Fort Jackson. They left the military in 1994 and moved to Memphis, TN. Larry was working in a group practice while his wife was attending law school. They saw the beginning of a family with the birth of their son Nathan in May, 1997. His life was wondrously enriched by his marriage with Robin and the birth of their son, Nathan.

Larry's accomplishments are indeed impressive, but what made him so unique and special was the playful way with which he conducted himself as he accomplished his work. He helped so many people through crisis with his gift of seeing the big picture. He had a wonderful sense of humor. He was a great sports fan. He was always up to date on current events around the world.

Larry was especially fond of team sports. He was a New York fan for life. Wherever he found himself in the world, whether in South Carolina, Saudi Arabia or Tennessee, he always knew how his New York Teams were doing. While any sporting event would capture his interest, his heart was with his favorite New York teams, the NY Giants, Knicks, Mets and Rangers.

Larry was a team player in life. He was a family man. He was generous with his time and resources. He made genius use of his mind, and will be remembered as a true friend to humanity who's life was taken from us far too soon.

On October 25, 1997, in the wee hours of the morning, Larry was killed in a sudden, cruel, senseless moment when a drunk driver crashed into the car. His sister, Nancy, wife Robin, and his only son, Nate, were all killed.

Eriberto Vargas was convicted of 4 counts of DUI, manslaughter and one count of leaving the scene. He is currently awaiting sentencing.


back to 19

Lawrence Brett Yellin