Tanner JayLee O'Shasky
2 1/2 Months Old

March 8, 1998 to May 25, 1998

Tanner JayLee O'Shasky was born on March 8, 1998 at 6:25 p.m., weighing 7 pounds 1 oz. and 19" long, at Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. Jamee had a very long and hard labor that started at 4:30 a.m. The pain was quickly forgotten when she held her precious son. Tanner had lots of black hair and eyes so dark they looked black. Everyone thought his eyes and hair were exactly like his Auntie Jenna's. Jenna was his mommy's sister that died 6 and 1/2 years earlier from Leukemia. Jamee thought Jennie had picked Tanner out especially for her. Tanner was a very good baby, rarely crying. He was very good about waiting for his mommy's breaks at an area nursing home where she was doing her clinical for school. We would take him to Jamee so she could breast feed him. He gained weight quickly and grew like a weed. He was smiling all the time at anyone that would talk to him. Tanner was beginning his cooing stage and telling huge baby stories for such a little guy. Tanner would come with his mommy every weekend to stay with grandma and papa, and all of his uncles. We couldn't get enough of him. Tanner would wake up early in the morning and Jamee would change and feed him and then papa would take care of him while Jamee would rest for awhile. We would all joke that Tanner was having coffee with papa again. He loved to lay on the floor on a soft baby blanket on his back and play with his baby gym. He was just beginning to hold his rattles. On Easter morning Jamee put Tanner in a blue bunny sleeper complete with ears and tail and came hopping out on his mommy's arms to tell everyone "Happy Easter." He was so cute dressed up like that. Tanner was baptized on Easter Sunday also. He looked very adorable and innocent in his baptismal outfit. He was good through Easter Mass and all through the baptism. He had a party afterwards to celebrate becoming a little Christian boy. It was a very memorable day. One that we are thankful we have. Jamee had many plans for Tanner. He nickname for him was her "Mr. Guy." He would have had a wonderful life with his mommy. Tanner made a huge difference in the lives of all those who loved him. The world is a sadder place without him. Tanner was only 2 and 1/2 months old.


On Memorial Day night, May 25, 1998, Travis Diercks, Jamee's ex-boyfriend and father of her baby boy Tanner, broke into her apartment. She called us, her parents, at 11:34 p.m., then hung up and called 911. She was yelling that Travis was coming to take Tanner away. Jamee was on the phone with 911 when Travis pulled the telephone out of the wall, disconnecting her from the police. When the first officer arrived on the scene, he saw Jamee by the kitchen/living room area. He also saw Travis Diercks. The officer stated that Travis aimed the gun at Jamee and pulled the trigger, but the gun misfired. Then Travis turned and pointed the gun at the officer and attempted to fire, but the gun didn't go off. The officer ran back down the stairs. When the officer ran out, the detectives think that is when Jamee took Tanner and ran into the bathroom and locked the door. Travis kicked the bathroom door down and shot Tanner twice, killing him. Then Travis shot Jamee twice, killing her.

According to the coroner's report, they died instantly from the head wounds. Travis Diercks then shot and killed himself. He left a several page suicide letter for his family. Jamee died holding Tanner in her arms. She had a restraining order injunction against Travis. She believed he violated that restraining order several times, law enforcement didn't agree.

back to 20

Tanner OShasky