Alexander Costas

24 1/2 Years Old

June 14, 1975 to April 28, 2000

My only son, Alexander Costas, was a wonderful human being. He loved life and people of all ages. He especially had a love for less fortunate and underprivileged children who were fatherless, or who just needed a friend, often serving as a role model and a "dad". He also loved animals and at one time we had a "zoo" in my home. He would literally stop his car in the middle of the road to rescue an animal or to assist another human being. He loved the outdoors, swimming, fishing, camping, Universal Studios, etc. He had the heart of a child. Although he was very tall, they called him the "Gentle Giant" because of his good nature. Many times he would take the kids in his black Camaro and drive them to fishing trips, movies, etc. The children adored him. He also taught them how to swim, fish; he taught them moral values and how to be kind to others. He was just an exceptional person. He was my best friend and we were very close. I raised him as a single mother. It was just him and I. My daughter had gone to live with her dad at 14 years old. He was a medical assistant, had graduated from modeling school, and was looking forward to leaving for the Navy. Although he was tall, 6' 4" and gorgeous, he was never a show off and was very modest about his looks. He was also strong and athletic; he was a bodybuilder and weighted 210-215 lbs.

On April 28, 2000, at 11:30 p.m., after watching a late night movie, Alex said "good night mom, sweet dreams". I said to him, "good night sweetheart". He then checked all the locks and windows and set the alarm. About 1/2 hour later, I heard a loud crash and glass breaking. Thinking it was some neighborhood kids, I opened my bedroom door where a black, masked gunman was standing; with a black gun pointed to my head and yelling, "freeze". My ONLY THOUGHT was to call out to my precious son and tell him, "Don't come out of the room, he has a gun!" But I was speechless, I could not speak. I ran for my life into the bathroom where I crouched and hid for several minutes. I heard "2 loud popping sounds". Praying that my son would not be hurt, I removed 3 window panes and made an opening large enough to crawl out. I ran in my nightgown to a neighbor's home, banging on the windows, where she finally called the police. About 2 hours later, I was informed that my precious son was deceased, due to a shotgun wound to the chest.

It has been almost a year now and still no news of the killer(s). A neighbor saw 2 young black kids running from my home. The neighbor had also seen a suspicious car, riding back and forth in my neighborhood about 12:00 a.m. She did nothing about it and did not call the police to investigate. I believe that if she had called the police when she spotted the suspicious car, perhaps my son would've been alive today. I've called America's Most Wanted, I have written numerous letters to the detective, sergeant, director of the police department, the state attorney general's office, etc. Everyone tells me the same thing - "We're working on it". I can't sleep at night. I watch and wait - thinking the killers will come back and hurt me. I still live in the same house (I have nowhere to go) and I have so many memories here of my precious son. Even though I have spiritual comfort and support from family and friends, I will never stop missing my son. We were so close. A part of me died when my son died. Life will NEVER be the same again. I don't understand what kind of person could take my son's life away and my hopes and dreams. He was everything to me. Sometimes I feel like a failure - like I wasn't able to do anything to save my son.



back to 22

Alexander Costas